Supplier Resources

Find supplier resources and information available to you.

Learn about supplier diversity at Evergy, including how to become a supplier, classifications, procurement and more.

All suppliers, large or small, diverse or non-diverse, are asked to register with Evergy to be considered for future sourcing opportunities. There is no guarantee that your business will have an opportunity to bid on providing products and/or services to Evergy; however, you must first register your company with Evergy to be afforded an opportunity.

What do we expect from suppliers?

Current Suppliers should register certifications if Diverse or Small. Non-Diverse/Small suppliers should report Tier II Diverse/Small spend.

Access the Portal

The following are examples of what we procure:

Business and Corporate Services

  • Information technology (materials and service)
  • Desktops, laptops, servers, LAN/WAN equipment, routers, software, telecom equipment, etc.
  • Human resources services
  • Janitorial, maintenance, pest control, catering, bottled water, snow removal, office furniture, decorating, landscaping, etc.
  • Travel services
  • Legal services
  • Advertising
  • Professional services
  • Facility maintenance and management services

Transmission and Distribution

  • Pole, line hardware
  • Meter services
  • Substation materials
  • Gas distribution materials
  • Construction services
  • Engineering services
  • Street lighting
  • Transformers
  • Wire and cable
  • Vegetation management
  • Trucks, earth movers, rail, tires and parts
  • Fleet vehicles and services 


  • Construction services
  • Maintenance, Repair and Operation (MRO) materials
  • Environmental systems
  • Environmental services
  • Engineering services 
  • Control & instrumentation materials
  • Engineering and project management services
  • Boiler materials
  • Small industrial electrical components, fuses, non-original equipment manufacturer (OEM) bearings, cleaning supplies, welding supplies, power transmission materials, etc.
  • Maintenance, repair and operating materials
  • Pipes, valves, fittings


Supplier diversity classifications and definitions you should know:

Small Business – A business concern eligible for assistance from the SBA is organized for profit, with a place of business located within the U.S. It must operate primarily within the U.S. or make a significant contribution to the U.S. economy through the payment of taxes or use of American products, material or labor. Together with it’s affiliates, it must meet the numerical size standards as defined in the Small Business Size Regulations, 13 CFR 121. (Can self certify.)

Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) - Must have certification from the relevant state.
DBEs are for-profit small business where socially and economically disadvantaged individuals own at least 51% interest and manage the daily business operations.

HUB Zone Small Business (HUB Zone) – Must be certified by SBA as a Hub Zone small business.  The small business must be in a "historically underutilized business zone" that is owned and controlled by one or more United States citizens where at least 35% of its employees reside in a HUB Zone.

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) – Must be certified by the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.   LGBTs are a for-profit enterprise located in the United States or its trust territories, and is at least 51% owned, controlled, operated and managed by a LGBT individual(s) of U.S. citizenship. 

Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) – Must be certified by one of the following 3rd party agencies: Federal, State or Local government agencies, National Minority Supplier Development Council, any regional affiliate, or Asian Chamber of Commerce.  MBEs are a for-profit enterprise presently located in the United States or its trust territories, and is at least 51% owned and operated by a U.S. citizen(s) who is a member of one of the following groups:

  • African American: Black racial groups of Africa 
  • Hispanic American: Spanish or Portuguese speaking areas of Latin America or the following regions: Mexico, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean basin 
  • Native American: American Indian, Eskimo, Aleut, and Native Hawaiian.  Individuals must be regarded as such by the community of which the person claims to be a part. 
  • Native Americans must be documented members of a North American tribe, band, or otherwise organized group of native people who are indigenous to the continental
  • United States or who otherwise have a special relationship with the United States or a state through treaty, agreement, or some other form of recognition. 
  • Asian Pacific: Japan, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, the Philippines, Thailand, Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Trust Territories of the
  • Pacific, or the Northern Marianas 
  • Asian Indian: India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh
  • Alaskan

Small Disadvantaged Business 8(a) (SDB) -  Must be certified by SBA.   SDBs are a small business unconditionally owned and controlled by one or more socially and economically disadvantaged citizen(s) of the United States, and demonstrates potential for success.  A SDB has also received certification as a small disadvantaged business consistent with 13 CFR 124, Subpart B, with no material change in disadvantaged ownership and control.

Small Business (SBE) - Must self-certify.   SBEs are a for-profit enterprise located in the United States or its trust territories, and is at least 51% owned, controlled, operated and managed by a socially and economically disadvantaged individual(s), who must have a net worth less than $750,000, excluding the equity of the business and primary residence, and qualifies as a small business under the criteria and size standards in 13 CFR 121 (see FAR 19.1).  

Service Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (SDVBE) – Self-certification, certificate from the Veterans Resource Business Center, or hold a copy of a DD214.  SDVBEs are a for-profit enterprise located in the United States or its trust territories, and is at least 51% owned by an individual(s) who have performed active service in one of the United States armed services and has/have a disability as defined in 38 USC 101(16). Individual(s) must be involved in the day-to-day management of the business.  In cases of a permanent or severe disability, the spouse or caregiver of such a service-disabled veteran may control the management and daily operations. 

Veteran-Owned Business (VOB) - Self-certification, certificate from Veterans Business Resource Center, or hold a copy of DD214.   VOBs are a business concern that is at least 51% owned by one or more veterans (as defined in 38 USC 101 (2)), or, in the case of any publicly owned business, at least 51% of the stock is owned by one or more veterans. In addition, one or more veterans must control the management and daily business operations.  

Woman Business Enterprise (WBE) – Self-certification, 3rd party city / state certified, WBENC or NAWBO certified.  WBEs are a for-profit enterprise located in the United States or its trust territories, and is at least 51% owned, controlled, and operated by a woman or women of U.S. citizenship. Individual(s) must be involved in the day-to-day management of the business.  


Resources that you may find helpful in learning more about Supplier Diversity and supplier certification. For a listing of all regional affiliates of NMSDC or WBENC please visit their websites.

3rd Party certifications are required to confirm diverse supplier status and must be updated annually prior to the expiration date.

The following certifications are accepted by Evergy:

National Certification Organizations for MBEs, WBEs, and SDVBEs

Government Certification Organziations


Self-certifications are accepted for women-owned, veteran-owned, DBE, and small business. Supplier will update 3rd party certificates in Power Advocate. Work with the Supply Chain Supplier Diversity Manager to obtain self-certification forms. (Supplier will register on power advocate tool and can print a self-certification form and upload into the power advocate tool)

Have more questions about resources or aren't seeing information you hoped to find here? Send us an email at or call 800-880-1952